1 2 3 4 5

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Reverse Author Interview - Kristen-Paige Madonia


I'm so excited to be participating in the Reverse Author Interviews, an event that the ladies over at Book Munchies came up with. The tables are turned - authors get to interview bloggers for a change!

This feature will be running Tuesdays and Fridays from now until May 7th. Several authors have provided some great questions for us bloggers. You can still join in, so check out the sign-up post HERE!

Today's questions are courtesy of Kristen-Paige Madonia.

Do you feel more inclined to read a stand-alone novel or a book series when picking your next read?
I enjoy stand-alone novels, but for me nothing beats a great series. If it's a new series to me and I really enjoy it, I end up putting aside whatever my next read would be so I can catch up (or finish) the series. That's part of the reason my TBR list is so long - I get sidetracked!

Another advantage with a series is once you get through the first book where you learn all about the world and get to know the characters, you don't have to learn everything all over again in the next books. With stand-alones, every one you pick up has different characters in a different world. Sometimes that can be a little frustrating as a reader. Or maybe that's just me. :)

Do you have any insight as to why certain books are chosen for book-clubs, and others are passed over? What specific attributes do you look for in a novel when deciding to use it for a group-read?
I'm not sure I'd call it insight, but from what I've seen most books chosen for book clubs or read-alongs are books that are very  popular. I've never seen anything chosen that was off the wall, or from some unknown, untested author. I'm no expert on the subject, though. :)

How important is the cover? When it comes down to it, how often do you chose a book to read/review based on the cover art?
The cover is important, but not the only factor in my book-reading decision. There have been many times over the years where I'd see a fantastic cover on a book and grab it immediately. If the blurb is as enticing as the cover, I'll definitely read it (or at least add it to my TBR list!).

I'm not saying if a cover is blah I won't read the book. It's just that, yes, a cover will draw me to a novel. If the synopsis piques my interest, I'll check it out. I've read books with covers and blurbs that were fantastic, and those were the best things about the book. On the flip side, there have been covers that did nothing for me, but the book rocked.

I guess the bottom line here is the cover is important, but it's what's inside that counts. :)

Endings: tied up neatly, or a more realistic ambiguous open-ended conclusion?
With series, I enjoy open-ended conclusions between books. There are some authors who really know how to write a cliffhanger, though. Many times, I read the last page, and then frantically flip pages to see if there's more. If the next book in the series is available, I'll pounce on it.

The ones where the next book isn't so available are ones that have almost gone flying across a room. I have also been known to scream, sob, curse, pout, and rant when a book has 'too good' of a cliffhanger.

Do you feel a YA novel must have some kind of love-interest plot-line (or subplot) to engage readers?
I don't believe any book has  to have a love-interest plotline. There are lots of books where romance never enters into it, and that's not a bad thing.

I enjoy romance in a story, but only if it works with the story. There have been times I've wondered if the author just tossed in a romance subplot so they could classify the book as 'romance'. And sometimes I feel the romantic subplots actually detract from the main part of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment